Saturday, December 09, 2017

Sojourn

Mom's lying on her hospital bed, mouth half open trying to breath in enough air to sustain her failing body. I don't think I will ever get this image off my memory. 

This is too soon. Mom's only 66. Cancer is taking her life away, a bit at a time; and the end of her battle is nigh. 

Granted, it's not really much of a battle. From the initial diagnosis, mom and I have pretty much decided that she is not going to fight it and go through any treatment. Doctor said that any chemo therapy would probably kill her faster. I took great comfort in knowing this, thinking that quality of life would be paramount. 

I have not regretted this decision though mom has had some doubt at times. It's been almost 4 months. It's been tough. Probably the toughest thing I have experienced emotionally. I truly treasure the time I spent with her. But seeing her suffer is tougher than I could ever imagine. 

The certainty of the outcome is made ironic by the uncertainty of when that day will come. And finally, I think that day is near. 

1 comment:

ET said...

i'm sure she is glad to have you around when it's time.